About the PRP
The City Committee of the Portsmouth Republican Party works in partnership with the Republican Party of Virginia and the Republican National Committee to promote the principles of the Republican Party, and to encourage, nominate and elect Republican candidates for public office.
All legal and qualified voters, under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, who are in accord with the principles of the Republican Party may participate as members.
Virginia Republican Creed
• That the free enterprise system is the most productive supplier of human needs and economic justice
• That all individuals are entitled to equal rights, justice, and opportunities and should assume their responsibilities as citizens in a free society
• That fiscal responsibility and budgetary restraints must be exercised at all levels of government
• That the Federal Government must preserve individual liberty by observing Constitutional limitations
• That peace is best preserved through a strong national defense
• That faith in God, as recognized by our Founding Fathers, is essential to the moral fiber of the Nation
The History of the Virginia Republican Creed
The Virginia Republican Creed was authored by the late Dr. Max Charles Graeber who was Republican Chairman of the Fifth Congressional District and Dean of the Night School and the Women’s School at the University of Richmond.
On January 22, 1987, President Ronald Reagan nominated Max to be a member of the National Advisory Council on Educational Research and Improvement for a term expiring September 30, 1989.
In 1997, the Governor of Virginia presented Max with a Certificate of Recognition for his many constructive contributions to the people of the Commonwealth of Virginia in which the Governor officially recognized December 9, 1997 as Max Graeber Day.
Max graduated from Indiana University (B.S., 1952) and Bowling Green State University (M.A., 1965: Ph.D., 1973). Dr. Gaeber was born February 9, 1928 in Valparaiso, Indiana.
At-large Members : Bill Watts, Latoya Haight, Nathan Hord, Chris Evans
Third Congressional District Chairman : Miki Selp Miller
Local Elected Republicans
Portsmouth School Board
State Senator 14th Dist.